Keep Your Pets Safe Around Cleaning Products

Keep Your Pets Safe Around Cleaning Products

We all want to keep our homes clean and our pets safe, but sometimes these two things can be at odds with each other. When we use certain cleaning products, we might not realize that they could be harmful to our furry friends.

We explore some of the most common cleaning products that are dangerous for pets and what you can do to keep your home clean and your pet safe.

The Dangers of Cleaning Products to Pets

Cleaning products are essential for keeping our homes clean and tidy. However, many of these products contain chemicals that can be dangerous to our pets. When used incorrectly, these products can cause serious health problems for our furry friends.

There are a few things to keep in mind when using cleaning products around your pets:

  • Read the label carefully and follow the instructions.
  • Keep all cleaning products out of reach of your pets.
  • Never use cleaning products on your pet’s fur or skin. If you must use a product around your pet, always test it on a small area first.
  • If you suspect your pet has been exposed to a cleaning product, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Harmful Ingredients for pets to Watch Out For

Some common cleaning ingredients can be toxic to pets if they are ingested or come into contact with their skin. Here are some ingredients to watch out for in cleaning products when you have a pet:

Isopropyl alcohol:

This ingredient is commonly found in disinfectants and cleaners. If ingested by a pet, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea

Bleach, specifically chlorine:

Bleach is a strong disinfectant that can be harmful if ingested by a pet. Chlorine bleach specifically can cause irritation and burns on a pet’s skin and mucous membranes.

Hydrogen peroxide:

This ingredient is often used as a cleaner or disinfectant. However, it can be corrosive and cause stomach upset if ingested by a pet.

Chemical compounds that contain the word “phenol”:

Phenol-based cleaners can be irritating and toxic if ingested by a pet. They can also be corrosive and cause burns on the skin.

Ammonia:

Ammonia is a common ingredient in cleaning products that can be harmful if inhaled by a pet or if it comes into contact with their skin. Inhaling ammonia can irritate a pet’s respiratory system and cause coughing and wheezing. 

What to Do If Your Pet Comes Into Contact with a Cleaning Product

If your pet comes into contact with a cleaning product, it is important to take action immediately. Here are some tips on what to do:

  • Rinse the area with warm water for at least 15 minutes.
  • Apply a mild soap if available and rinse again.
  • Contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital for further guidance.

By taking quick action, you can help to ensure that your pet does not experience any adverse effects from coming into contact with a cleaning product.

As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the dangers that cleaning products can pose to your beloved animal friends.

By taking some simple precautions and keeping your pets safe, you can avoid any accidents or illnesses. We hope these tips have been helpful in keeping your pets safe around cleaning products.

If you loved this article, you will also love reading our eBook Dubai Ruff Guide

You will also like to read:

For more furry destinations, latest blogs, events, and providers you can stay updated by following us on Instagram and signing up for our newsletters.

You want to receive updates on places to go and things to do with your pet in UAE?

Moo pet insurance
Leave your comment